Burnt Thicket Theatre has been hard at work to continue our season in a variety of new ways. Read ahead to see what you can look forward to in the coming months!
1. Supporting emerging playwrights & script development of new plays:
- Breathe by Sienna Holden. This new musical is a heart-warming drama about relationships, with family and with ourselves. A deep dive into the effects of trauma and opioid addiction that asks, does one moment define a life? Take this journey with Sarah, a recovering addict, as she struggles to reconnect with her estranged teenage daughter and walk a path towards healing. Emerging playwright Sienna Holden (pictured at right) also performed in She Has a Name.
- Delft Blue by Andrew Kooman – online script reading for Remembrance Day. When Holland falls to the Nazis in 1940, Machiel and Sophia contend with impossible decisions: to choose between defiance and surrender, their quiet faith and unthinkable violence. His grandfather’s life inspired this script for Andrew Kooman (pictured at right), who also wrote We Are the Body and She Has a Name. Watch our social media accounts for details and how to watch the Delft Blue reading.
- Kneeling Down by Wanita Bird. This important new script-in-progress explores stories of systemic racism in our city of Saskatoon, based on historical events. Wanita Bird (pictured at right) is a local actor, musician and writer who also performed in Christmas Presence.
2. Tied in Knots audio drama mini-series
We’re pleased to announce our Tied in Knots Audio Drama project, a new series of short audio plays about embracing the challenges of marriage, written by Yulissa Campos, Aaron Krogman, Krista Marushy, Curtis Peeteetuce and Jeany Snider, playwrights from Saskatoon and southern Alberta. Keep your ears open for Tied in Knots, to be released in a digital format in early 2021!
3. Christmas Presence returns in December
A unique mashup of stories and songs that explores the nativity with a messy but joyful hope. Christmas Presence returns for its 6th year in Saskatoon as an online event in early December, date to be announced!